[vcf-midatlantic] Great vintage computer article.

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 11:49:01 EDT 2017

> >>   Yes.  With people jumping in droves to put everything in/on "THE
> > CLOUD!!", without a thought or a clue as to the consequences, I can't
> help
> > but sit back and laugh.  It's the same centralized model, except that
> it's,
> > as Matt Patoray so aptly puts it, SOMEONE ELSE'S COMPUTER.
> >
> >   At least the company mainframe was owned by an entity whom you
> > ostensibly had some sort of a connection to.
> >
> >   Oh well.  People will learn when all their stuff just up and
> > disappears.  And companies will figure out what happens when they store
> > their customer lists and other business-proprietary data on computers
> owned
> > by some of the world's largest data mining companies.  B-)
> >
> >             -Dave

Dave - If you know what you're doing using cloud computing gives a
person/company the competitive advantage vs. physical, dollar for dollar.
Money is a big thing especially if you're willing to spend the same money
you were before towards things like load balancing etc.   For my business I
have a cloud network with a robust backup and recovery process, multiple
server OS's.  It has proven to be faster, cheaper to support and more
reliable than physical servers over time.  With cloud things can go wrong,
I agree.  In particular if you did dumb things with physical servers and
simply moved your process into the cloud.

BTW I am not talking about simple drop box type storage, I am taking
server/dbase/private subnet/process/object backups etc

Physical has its place and there are cases where it's better than cloud,
and if your networking is not set up correctly cloud is not going to fix a
poor design.

My underlying point - The refs throws the yellow card on any blanket
statements saying CLOUD is not good just because it's someone else's
computer.

Bill