[vcf-midatlantic] Book review

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Tue Aug 1 23:55:28 EDT 2017

"IEEE Annals of the History of Computing" is the top academic journal
covering computer history. The current issue has a review of my book,
"Abacus to smartphone: The evolution of mobile and portable computers".
The reviewer was fair in observing what I did well and what I could have
done better. She concluded that it's an "accessible read ... recommended
for historians of all stripes or those with an interest in wide-ranging
narratives of computer technology". That was exactly my goal when I
started researching it more than a decade ago: to make the book
accessible to the public yet also credible to professional historians.
Goal achieved! Happy camper tonight.

I emailed the journal editor to ask about their rules for
quoting/reprinting -- I do not intend to break them. Nobody should take
it upon themselves to host the PDF.

IEEE members can read it here:
https://www.computer.org/…/an/2017/02/man2017020009-abs.html

Evan Koblentz, director