[vcf-midatlantic] assembler is tedious (was WooHoo!) (Jeffrey Jonas)

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Mon Aug 7 18:14:22 EDT 2017

My error on "real", Adam meant the old cliche "real programmers use
assembler". I apologize, I thought Adam was asserting that vintage
computing wasn't real when compared to day-job computing.

As for favoring one assembly architecture over another: it's an old
argument. Look at histories of each architecture: they are about
circumstances, or sometimes design choices for purpose. Some are
certainly simpler than others. ARM is usually about three architectures
per processor! It's a fuzzier argument today, when computing resources
are abundant. Not so much, when you haveta count cycles.

Thus one value of preserving vintage computing: lessons learned from
scarcity. And another, from Adam: simplicity, for education.

As for my 'dissing emulators. I have my priorities too: I'm preserving
hardware, because emulators make it easy to throw 'em out! And for
"circumstantial" reasons: my nuts-and-bolts BSEE for instance.

But here's good words for emulators. Some people who use 'em, will want
the real (no quotes) copper and silicon. And: Emulators help debug and
disassemble software, even vintage software. Here's an instance:

http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/cosmac_dev_sys.html#sim

Emulators are of commercial interest too, in running legacy software,
for purpose. That's why some computers become "vintage"; their software
lives but the computers pass on. This brings us back to "hobby" versus
"commercial". So: some good points, some bad points, on emulators.

Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net