[vcf-midatlantic] assembler is tedious (was WooHoo!)

William Dudley wfdudley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 09:18:56 EDT 2017

This is just a reminiscence.  Feel free to hit 'delete'.

My need for assembly language changed over my 40 year career.

When I started programming professionally, it was assembly language all the
time,
because decent compilers for 'C' or Pascal just didn't exist in the 70's
and early
80's.

Later on, late 80's, while doing embedded systems work, we finally had a
good C compiler, and
one only had to drop into assembly language to code up interrupt handlers
or particularly
speed-sensitive device drivers.

In the early 90's, when I was writing a CAD program for PCs (x86), I would
code up
the video drivers in 'C', and then hand optimize the assembler produced by
the
compiler to speed it up.

In the final era of my career, I was writing Perl on UNIX boxes, and had no
need for
assembly language at all.

Bill Dudley
retired EE/programmer

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Bob Applegate via vcf-midatlantic <