[vcf-midatlantic] assembler is tedious (was WooHoo!)

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Tue Aug 8 09:54:57 EDT 2017

On 08/08/2017 09:18 AM, William Dudley via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> This is just a reminiscence.  Feel free to hit 'delete'.
>
> My need for assembly language changed over my 40 year career.

2017 - 1978 = 39 years (good grief I've been at this for a while).

> When I started programming professionally, it was assembly language all the

Yup, I recall that, though I think C had become stand on PCs at my start.

> Later on, late 80's, while doing embedded systems work, we finally had a

Yup, Love C, it's a better assembler (if you knew how your C compiler did
it's magic anyway).

> In the final era of my career, I was writing Perl on UNIX boxes, and had no

I hope I'm not yet in my final era of my career but I now have a mix of
languages. Asm/C/C++ for embedded, Perl/Python/shell for admin and text
processing (a lot more bash/python), still working with Java (no love of
that verbose language) and lots of Python/Javascript for Smart Home,
php and Javascript for the Web (HTML/CSS/JS).

Thing to note is that for different jobs I use different languages. I'm
currently curious about Go and Rust (multi-processing).

Now back to asm lang, I still find that when I debug (down to the bits)
I need asm knowledge. Just because your C/Python/JS program doesn't work
does that mean that the bug isn't in the underlying compiler/interpreter.
The assumption, that it just works can lead to insanity (trying it until
it works).

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com