[vcf-midatlantic] the binary programmer cartoon

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:20:12 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:04 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <

> LOL ... learning the fundamentals of the HP-1000 and PDP-8 front panels,
>>> and starting to learn assembly, has been a real eye-opener for me. Mostly
>>> it's confirmed my existing belief that you guys are all very smart and/or
>>> very crazy. :)
>>>
>> For your next stupid human trick.. err I mean eye opener, you need to
>> design your own CPU at a register transfer level out of either standard
>> logic families (74xx/4xxx) or discrete transistors like Eric.  Then after
>> that you need to build your own transistor from raw Earth materials.  Then
>> we can let you into the super secret engineering rooms... where things
>> REALLY get crazy!
>>

> I'll get right on that.

​and then you have to build a 1-bit CPU,
where all operations are done in serial fashion,
not the customary 8-bit parallel​ [or 16-bit,32-bit,etc]
That's another terminology which has faded from history,
These days, when you mention the phrase "parallel computer",
it refers to multiple processors operating together, in a cohesive fashion.
If you recall some of the systems from the past history,
that earlier terminology about serial computers was commonplace,
and it was done mostly to save money on components,
But always at the expense of performance.
So you can't go wrong with making only 1-bit CPU ;)
Dan