[vcf-midatlantic] using catweasel to format an RX01

Ian Primus ian.primus.ccmp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 06:50:12 EDT 2017

Yes - it has to be single density. Just about any CP/M system with 8"
disks should be able to format single density ones. The IBM 3740
format was kind of the standard interchange format - a lowest common
denominator that most systems could handle. There is an XXDP utility
that can be used to update such disks to RX02 format - requires an
RX02, of course. I do not believe there is anything to go the other
way. The DEC RX02 format is special and weird. It uses the same base
single density formatting, using single density sector headers with
double density data areas. As such, really nothing else can create it.
My method for creating RX02 media has been to format blank disks as
single density on something else, then use the XXDP util to update
them to RX02.

I'm sure you can format RX01 disks with a Catweasel, I just have no
idea how this is done. I don't have a Catweasel and have never seen
one. You can, however, use ImageDisk and a compatible PC controller to
format single density disks - which is a method I've used to get RX01
blanks as well.

-Ian