[vcf-midatlantic] Tarbell DD controller troubleshooting

Richard Cini rich.cini at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 12:07:36 EDT 2017

Thanks Herb. I don't mind being lectured a bit :-)

I do like throwing these questions out there in case someone has seen it before. Just trying to not re-create the diagnostics wheel as it were.

On the one board (#1) I did trace back the chip select on port access and I can see that the board is being selected properly. I need to put the analyzer on the bus buffers to see if the right bit pattern is there. I tried swapping the bus buffers and the floppy chip and there's no change. So, more work to do there.

On the other board, "not letting it reset" means that with no TDD inserted the CPU resets and I get the monitor. With it inserted, it doesn't. The #1 board, when inserted, doesn't do this. It's also a recent phenomenon because it worked previously. I guess I'll work back from the reset line and see if it's a shorted buffer chip or something.

Always appreciate it, Herb. Sometimes it's just the nudge in the right direction I need.

Rich