[vcf-midatlantic] Mac SE coming to Workshop

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:43:30 EDT 2017

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Dean Notarnicola via vcf-midatlantic <

> Never drop them! Sticktion can (usually) safely be fixed by placing the
> drive on a smooth surface, rapidly rotating it a few times with a flick of
> the wrist, then quickly applying power. Dropping risks head damage.
> The only time this did not work for me, I had to sacrifice the drive by
> opening it and spinning the platters manually. The drive was absolutely on
> borrowed time from that point on, but I managed to recover the data. Does
> not bother using it after that.

I have had no problems opening a drive to de-stiction it while carefully
minimizing exposure to dust.  The enclosure is not a vacuum and opening the
drive for a minute to free it is not necessarily a death sentence.
Dropping a computer for any reason is worse if you ask me.