[vcf-midatlantic] Mac SE coming to Workshop

Adam Rosen adam at oakbog.com
Fri Aug 11 16:08:56 EDT 2017

As a diehard Mac collector I can’t help but enjoy this thread!  Sorry if I’m incorrectly combining too many responses here (I’m sure if so Evan will yell at me… :)

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 11:34 AM, william degnan via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
> I think the hard drive is bad because it needs a new Apple
> sticker on the side.  I have found if you replace the sticker the computer
> fixes itself.

LOL!  I think you have solved the eternal mystery of why Apple includes logo stickers in the box - preventative maintenance!

>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 1:42 PM, Jeffrey Brace via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>>
>> Besides replacing the sticker, I also found that kicking computers helps
>> too. Sometimes these old machines are just grouch old computers. If in
>> doubt kick it!

Actually the correct approach is a firm and correctly placed whack on the side with your hand.  Like used to be necessary with old tube TVs and such.  Technique is very important, it’s a slippery slope between fix and fracture…

>> On Aug 11, 2017, at 2:29 PM, Dean Notarnicola via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>>
>> Never drop them! Sticktion can (usually) safely be fixed by placing the
>> drive on a smooth surface, rapidly rotating it a few times with a flick of
>> the wrist, then quickly applying power. Dropping risks head damage.

There’s also the freeze-hard-drive-in-ziploc-bag approach, has anyone tried that?  A controversial technique, to be sure.

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 3:15 PM, Douglas Crawford via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
> The other nice thing is that these are perhaps the most reliable compacts
> - not requiring extensive if any recapping on the boards.

The SE and SE/30 have ventilation fans included, whereas earlier compact Mac models did not.  SE systems do indeed need recapping but they tend to last much longer due to the cooler running termperatures than other models.

Of course, Steve Jobs hated fans…

Adam

---
Oakbog - Supporting All Things Apple - Boston MA
Adam Rosen - Owner & CTO - adam at oakbog.com - 617-480-6436
 • Apple Certified Macintosh and iOS Consulting - oakbog.com <http://oakbog.com/>
 • The Vintage Mac Museum - vintagemacmuseum.com <http://vintagemacmuseum.com/>