[vcf-midatlantic] IBM 3740 FM Disks and Catweasel

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 00:36:52 EDT 2017

Anyone who cares...

Using my XOR S-4 S-100 computer I built IBM 3740 disks (SDSS) tonight. I
had to replace a cap near the 7812 and one of the 1488 drivers on the CPU
I/O card first, to get the system to work, but after that I was all set.
128 bytes 26 sectors per track, ~241K capacity.  There were a lot of disk
formats back then, I had to double check I was building the right thing as
the old systems are flexible yet cryptic.

So, should I attempt to build or image disks using the catweasel MK4 as the
drive controller I have an actual disk to play with, or image disk.

The XOR S-4 system I am using has Mitubishi M2896-63-02U drives, they're 8"
DS/DD and the disk controller uses a 1795 FDC chip.  The computer with the
Catweasel has a Tandon 848.

I'll post more details on my site as I make progress with photos.

Bill