[vcf-midatlantic] What's a good way to upgrade my Amiga 1000

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 06:11:11 EDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 11:13 PM, Dan Roganti <ragooman at gmail.com> wrote:

> What's a good way to upgrade my Amiga 1000. I like to get it setup which
> would let me download Amiga software online and transfer the files to my
> A1000 as I do with my C64 and Apple][.
>
> Is there something like the uIEC with the SD card from Jim Brain at Retro
> Innovations. This is the best one I've seen so far. Here you just swap the
> SD card after you download any software online, and pop this into the uIEC
> plugged into the C64.  I still use it together with my cross-platform dev
> when coding new stuff.
>
> or is it more like ADTPro for the Apple][ by using the serial cable
>
> I heard it's a  lot easier to find something for the later models which
> don't rely on Kickstart disks.
> ​Dan

​FYI,
rcv'd some info recently from some folks in the Commodore group on Vcforum.
#1 is just like the ADTPro for the Apple][
#2 has the SD card option. But the real kicker is they show this guy who
makes a KickStart board with Roms for the A1000 -- schhweet !! - no more
KickStart floppies needed
------
Use Transwarp and Amiga Explorer on a PC via a null modem cable. Transwarp
itself requires very little memory, and if you don't mind the transfer
times it's pretty reliable. The best speed you will be able to manage is
about 38400, but you can get an ADF transferred to a real disk in a
reasonable amount of time.
There's a Kickstart switcher that will let you put real ROMs in the A1000.
Makes everything much easier:
After that, I'd get either an HxC, which emulates two floppy drives with SD
cards, or a Gotek floppy drive emulator with HxC Firmware.

--
 _  ____
/ \__/   Scotty, We Need More Power !!