[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Solar Eclipse sunglasses -- legit, better and still cheap

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:20:44 EDT 2017

Thanks for the information! W.R.T. welding gear, it's typical for cutting
glasses to come with a Shade 5 insert, and for arc welding helmets and face
shields to be Shade 10. So, according to the recommendations, anything you
get stock at the hardware store is likely to be too weak.

Now, it's also my understanding that the shade value is for reducing eye
strain and the worker's comfort -- too low of a shade will strain your
eyes, but it's my understanding that the UV protection is inherent in any
shade insert. So, if you do happen to have too weak of a shade insert in
your gear, it'll probably make looking at a too-bright source unpleasant,
but not dangerous. Again, what I've been told, so don't trust your eyeballs
to that!

I'd be surprised if the optometrist was giving out insufficient eyewear,
since they would likely be legally liable for any eye damage resulting from
the use of the glasses they were handing out.

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Dan Roganti via vcf-midatlantic <