[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Solar Eclipse sunglasses -- legit, better and still cheap

VAXman at tmesis.org VAXman at tmesis.org
Thu Aug 17 11:17:06 EDT 2017

systems_glitch via vcf-midatlantic writes:

>Heh, don't know that I'd trust a Harmful Freight device with my
>eyesight, but there are many other suppliers that will carry name-brand
>eye protection. The goggle type devices are often called "cutting
>glasses" or "cutting goggles" because they're only used when cutting or
>welding with an oxy-fuel torch -- electric arc welding requires full
>face protection from the UV given off by the arc as it'll sunburn any
>exposed skin. Many big box hardware stores carry either Lincoln, Hobart,
>or Miller branded safety gear, which is fine, safe stuff.
>
>We went in for new glasses last week, and the optometrist had cardboard
>and film filter glasses for free in their lobby.
>
>Thanks, Jonathan

FWIW, most of the "eclipse glasses" have been sold out.  If you are nearby
the InfoAge center and want some glasses, Avenues of the Sky (AAS approved)
have produced glases for the Lakewood crowd.  They're printed in Hebrew but,
come on, it's pretty self-explanatory as to what to do with them.  I picked
up a 6-pack from the Madison Rx in Lakewood for $12.

I've also spent $250 on a 7mm solar filter for my camera lens from B&H Photo
Video.  I'll be traveling shortly a location in the path of totality, so eat
your heart out if you're not in the path!!! :P