[vcf-midatlantic] OT: Solar Eclipse sunglasses -- legit, better and still cheap

corey cohen coreyvcf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:54:24 EDT 2017

corey cohen
uǝɥoɔ ʎǝɹoɔ

> On Aug 17, 2017, at 11:17 AM, Brian Schenkenberger via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
> systems_glitch via vcf-midatlantic writes:
>
>> Heh, don't know that I'd trust a Harmful Freight device with my
>> eyesight, but there are many other suppliers that will carry name-brand
>> eye protection. The goggle type devices are often called "cutting
>> glasses" or "cutting goggles" because they're only used when cutting or
>> welding with an oxy-fuel torch -- electric arc welding requires full
>> face protection from the UV given off by the arc as it'll sunburn any
>> exposed skin. Many big box hardware stores carry either Lincoln, Hobart,
>> or Miller branded safety gear, which is fine, safe stuff.
>>
>> We went in for new glasses last week, and the optometrist had cardboard
>> and film filter glasses for free in their lobby.
>>
>> Thanks, Jonathan
>
> FWIW, most of the "eclipse glasses" have been sold out.  If you are nearby
> the InfoAge center and want some glasses, Avenues of the Sky (AAS approved)
> have produced glases for the Lakewood crowd.  They're printed in Hebrew but,
> come on, it's pretty self-explanatory as to what to do with them.  I picked
> up a 6-pack from the Madison Rx in Lakewood for $12.
>
> I've also spent $250 on a 7mm solar filter for my camera lens from B&H Photo
> Video.  I'll be traveling shortly a location in the path of totality, so eat
> your heart out if you're not in the path!!! :P

Just make sure those "Hebrew" glasses don't say made in China.  I bought my glasses from amazon but was lucky I don't have the knock off ones.   Mine are made in America.

As for using welding goggles.  I thought that only some would work.  There is a specific rating still needed.  From what I read most welding googles are either too dark or too light to work for the eclipse.

I'm kinda jealous your able to travel to see the complete eclipse, I can't get the whole day off work.  If I was traveling I'd also spend $200 to be able to take a picture without messing up my camera.  I can't wait to see the lines at the Apple Store for all the people who fried the camera in their phone on Tuesday.  Not that I'm saying android people will do any better.  Their phones won't work either after they spontaneously burst into flames during the eclipse.  LOL.

Cheers,
Corey