[vcf-midatlantic] Monitor needed for museum

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 00:27:12 EDT 2017

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <

> Everyone,
>
> We need an HDMI monitor for a permanent connection to the Pi that powers
> our tablet content.
>
> Ideally it should be smaller than 19" (so it can fit on a rack shelf) but
> not less than, say, 15" (so we can actually read it).
>
> I tried using a known-working HDMI-VGA adapter. But it's not supported by
> the Pi.
>
> Does anyone have a suitable screen to donate, or can someone buy it for us?
>
> This is something we need quickly.

​so you get the "Input not supported" box ​
​i do the same thing here, but I had no prob, i slap this on most any
generic vga monitor.
your monitor just might not handle every video mode that's all
but also some of those converters only handle a limited selection of video
mode resolutions
so you need to check the specs on both, the monitor and the converter

wasn't there someone there who can help configure​ the RPi, then you can
try alternate settings
I use the same generic option below, that's probably what you have now,

​​hdmi_safe=1
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=1

then you can try alternate options,

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=8
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
config_hdmi_boost=4
disable_overscan=1

and then here's some of the sites to provide the explanation of the various
settings,
http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#No_HDMI_output_at_all
http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#HDMI_-.3E_VGA_adapters

and ​this is available from  RPI support, compare this to the model# for
your monitor, and the specs of that converter
HDMI-VGA conversion may post compatibility problems under the following
conditions
* The HDMI source has different refresh rate than the VGA display
* The VGA display (projector, monitor or TV) does NOT support the
resolutions as output from the HDMI source
(480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 800x600, 720i, 720p, 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1080i,
1080p)
* The VGA display does NOT support interlaced resolution while the HDMI
source is set to 1080i, 720i, 576i or 480i
* The HDMI output of source device does NOT supply 5V/500mA power

​
fyi,
did you borrow that, not sure which model you have there,
cause you can just buy the same inexpensive, and versatile one that I use
here -- only $6/prime
but first tinker with the settings
http://tinyurl.com/y9asmu84

​google foo = 10min