[vcf-midatlantic] Monitor needed for museum

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Sun Aug 20 00:34:10 EDT 2017

> ​so you get the "Input not supported" box ​
> ​i do the same thing here, but I had no prob, i slap this on most any
> generic vga monitor.
> your monitor just might not handle every video mode that's all
> but also some of those converters only handle a limited selection of
> video mode resolutions
> so you need to check the specs on both, the monitor and the converter
>
> wasn't there someone there who can help configure​ the RPi, then you can
> try alternate settings
> I use the same generic option below, that's probably what you have now,
>
> ​​hdmi_safe=1
> hdmi_group=1
> hdmi_mode=1
>
> then you can try alternate options,
>
> hdmi_group=2
> hdmi_mode=8
> hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
> config_hdmi_boost=4
> disable_overscan=1
> and then here's some of the sites to provide the explanation of the
> various settings,
> http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options
> http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#No_HDMI_output_at_all
> http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#HDMI_-.3E_VGA_adapters
>
> and ​this is available from  RPI support, compare this to the model# for
> your monitor, and the specs of that converter
> HDMI-VGA conversion may post compatibility problems under the following
> conditions
> * The HDMI source has different refresh rate than the VGA display
> * The VGA display (projector, monitor or TV) does NOT support the
> resolutions as output from the HDMI source
> (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 800x600, 720i, 720p, 1280x1024, 1600x1200,
> 1080i, 1080p)
> * The VGA display does NOT support interlaced resolution while the HDMI
> source is set to 1080i, 720i, 576i or 480i
> * The HDMI output of source device does NOT supply 5V/500mA power

Errrr most of that is gibberish to me.

I have a generic HDMI-VGA adapter. It works fine, such as when I connect
it from my Chromebook HDMI out to a ordinary LCD monitor or projector.

All I did today was plug the HDMI end into the Pi and the VGA end into a
10-year-old 15" VGA LCD. No big fancy test.

Bill Dudley is our Pi expert.

Last weekend he found some issue and wasn't able to log in remotely.

So we cannot check any Pi settings because we cannot see its display. :)