[vcf-midatlantic] Monitor needed for museum

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 20 00:51:24 EDT 2017

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 12:34 AM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <

> ​so you get the "Input not supported" box ​
>> ​i do the same thing here, but I had no prob, i slap this on most any
>> generic vga monitor.
>> your monitor just might not handle every video mode that's all
>> but also some of those converters only handle a limited selection of
>> video mode resolutions
>> so you need to check the specs on both, the monitor and the converter
>>
>> wasn't there someone there who can help configure​ the RPi, then you can
>> try alternate settings
>> I use the same generic option below, that's probably what you have now,
>>
>> ​​hdmi_safe=1
>> hdmi_group=1
>> hdmi_mode=1
>>
>> then you can try alternate options,
>>
>> hdmi_group=2
>> hdmi_mode=8
>> hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
>> config_hdmi_boost=4
>> disable_overscan=1
>> and then here's some of the sites to provide the explanation of the
>> various settings,
>> http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options
>> http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#No_HDMI_output_at_all
>> http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#HDMI_-.3E_VGA_adapters
>>
>> and ​this is available from  RPI support, compare this to the model# for
>> your monitor, and the specs of that converter
>> HDMI-VGA conversion may post compatibility problems under the following
>> conditions
>> * The HDMI source has different refresh rate than the VGA display
>> * The VGA display (projector, monitor or TV) does NOT support the
>> resolutions as output from the HDMI source
>> (480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 800x600, 720i, 720p, 1280x1024, 1600x1200,
>> 1080i, 1080p)
>> * The VGA display does NOT support interlaced resolution while the HDMI
>> source is set to 1080i, 720i, 576i or 480i
>> * The HDMI output of source device does NOT supply 5V/500mA power
>>

> Errrr most of that is gibberish to me.

​well, get some who doesn't think it's gibberish,
where's your tech help over there, the one who set up the RPI
this isn't windows plug 'n play crap

​

> I have a generic HDMI-VGA adapter. It works fine, such as when I connect
> it from my Chromebook HDMI out to a ordinary LCD monitor or projector.

​ok cool,' then most likely the monitor is lacking some video modes,
obviously the generic settings, which is the highest video mode, so you
just have to use a lower video mode
that's what the "gibberish" is for
either learn it or get someone

​

> All I did today was plug the HDMI end into the Pi and the VGA end into a
> 10-year-old 15" VGA LCD. No big fancy test.

​ok like I mentioned , it's might be lacking some video modes like 1080
[the generic settings]  for that old LCD
most of the common variety these days for the past 5+yrs can handle 1080
​

> Bill Dudley is our Pi expert.

​oook go get him

​

> Last weekend he found some issue and wasn't able to log in remotely.
>
> So we cannot check any Pi settings because we cannot see its display. :)

​wait you said the smaller monitor was only to fit in the rack,
so you never had a monitor at all ??
umm, this sounds -you-know-what
if you can't log in remotely that's a diff issue [I'm sure he knows what to
do there]
but --at least-- you​ like to get it working first,
before trying to shrink anything,
just use a modern LCD for now for this, that handles 1080[generic setting]

--
 _  ____
/ \__/   Scotty, We Need More Power !!