[vcf-midatlantic] OT: my own Pi

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 15:54:20 EDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic
<vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>> It boots off of the SD card every time.  Think of the SD card as the "hard
>> disk".
>

> SSD ... got it, thanks.
>
> What made me wonder is Raspbian seemed to take a long time to get started.

Don't confuse an SD card with an SSD.  While both are flash based
solid state storage, an SSD can be several orders of magnitude faster
than an SD card.

A typical consumer grade SSD can do around 500 MB/s.  A typical off
the shelf SD card will do 10 MB/s.  There are SD cards which are
faster, if you're willing to pay the price, but even at the highest
bracket you're still only talking about 90 MB/s

Here's a quick breakdown of the various SD card speed classes:

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/index.html

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller