[vcf-midatlantic] Monitor needed for museum

Dan Roganti ragooman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 18:39:01 EDT 2017

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <

> Nobody ever accused me of being reasonable. :)

​we know
it comes from your magnetic personality ;)

​

> In our defense, we were trying to fix things possibly related to our local
> network, but we didn't have a conveniently accessible HDMI monitor there.
> Ergo the chicken and egg.

​here again, I think you need to be aware that modern VGA LCD monitors from
the last 5yrs are already capable of 1920x1080​ ie, hdmi resolution
which is what I said at midnight -- a lot easier to find and borrow -- and
I bet you $20 that IXR has one or they know where there is one.
so your hdmi to vga would have worked perfectly then, and then to fix the
remote login problem, and never have a need for a hdmi monitor

> However I did not know about editing the file by moving the microSD card
> to another computer entirely, as Jeff Galinant suggested.

​those links I sent at midnight after no one bothered to reply to you after
6hrs​ explained all of this. I'm not expecting you to be an Linux expert,
I'm not a Linux expert, but i expect you to read -- you've done that before
to solve other problems.
And that file can be edited right on the RPi , no need for any other
machine.
So you could have adjusted the video mode right there to support the 10yrs
monitor - which is most likely - without a doubt stops at 800x600
By using the existing hi-res vga Lcd monitor, because that supports
practically every video mode from here to eternity.
>From what you said the RPi was still running, you just had the wrong monitor
​Dan​

--
 _  ____