[vcf-midatlantic] Monitor needed for museum

corey cohen coreyvcf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 19:36:57 EDT 2017

> On Aug 22, 2017, at 4:36 PM, William Dudley via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
> Dave,
>
> The pi was powered down without an orderly shutdown a couple of months ago.
>
> It took me HOURS to fix the corrupted files on the SD card.
>
> If you would like to take responsibility for this project, feel free to
> step up.
>
> Otherwise, just silently hit the delete key on emails in this thread.
>
> Bill Dudley
>

> This email is free of malware because I run Linux.
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <
>
>>   OH MY GOD.  I CANNOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE.  After 25 messages and three
>>> days, two problems that any reasonable person would have solved in about
>>> five minutes remain unsolved.
>>>

>> Nobody ever accused me of being reasonable. :)
>>

>>   Walk up to the Pi.  Unplug it.  Take it to a usable HDMI display.
>>> Plug it in.  Fix any (possible but unlikely) issues caused by powering
>>> it down hard.  Reconfigure the display subsystem for the new monitor.
>>> Fix the network issue.  Take it back to where it goes.  Plug it back in.
>>>

>> In our defense, we were trying to fix things possibly related to our local
>> network, but we didn't have a conveniently accessible HDMI monitor there.
>> Ergo the chicken and egg.
>>
>> However I did not know about editing the file by moving the microSD card
>> to another computer entirely, as Jeff Galinant suggested.

FYI.  I have found that if you powerdown the PI from the AC side of the power adapter it has a good chance of corrupting boot drive.  But if you put the switch on the D.C. side and use that instead, I have yet to corrupt an image.

Also I don't know why the museum doesn't keep a copy of the disk image on the desktop computer so that if the PI doesn't boot, they can simply re-image the sdcard in 5 minutes and we can avoid this thread being rehashed in 6 months.