[vcf-midatlantic] Monitor needed for museum

David Ryskalczyk david.rysk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 20:21:31 EDT 2017

I'll make an EE guess here:
When you unplug the DC side, the Pi is shut off relatively quickly so there is little room for bad writes to corrupt the card, or for the voltage to drop low enough for the CPU to execute random instructions but still high enough to run at all.
When you unplug the AC side of the power adapter, the capacitance in the power supply causes a much slower drop-off which causes the CPU to execute random instructions, likely writing to the card.

So far I haven't yet corrupted a card, but I generally power Pis from USB and unplug the USB cable first.

My suggestions? Make the Linux setup as read-only as possible as that will minimize possibility of corruption, and of course, if the image contents are static, keep a copy of the image handy on a nearby PC. Constant writing will quickly kill the SD card anyway.

David