[vcf-midatlantic] Fake 7400-series memory

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Thu Aug 24 11:49:09 EDT 2017

 > On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:16 AM, W2HX via vcf-midatlantic

 > I would think the most logical explanation for [faking] this chip was not
 > that someone went through the trouble of trying to pass off one chip
 > for another, but rather that the manufacturing process simply put
 >  the wrong label on the chip.

Here's the choices - someone in China relabeled a chip; or a
semiconductor production assembly line for analog/digital chips, put a
TTL device label on the chip instead? And if the latter, how did devices
decades-old, which obviously failed any quality-control, end up
available today and likely in some quantity?

I think "China relabel" is more likely. There's a LOT of relabeling
going on today. Typically, standard chips are relabeled as
high-reliability expanded-temp chips, which is harder to detect. This
fraud was stupid, at some level.

On 8/24/2017 11:28 AM, Jason Perkins wrote:
> Unless someone came across a large stash of the DTMF chips, got them for
> next to nothing, and was trying to pawn them off as something useful.

Neither chip is very "useful". I suppose someone making a TTL computer
today would use a 74LS181 and some other 18X chips too. Ebay prices are
one to a few dollars each. But who can second-guess the next person
making money through chip fraud? This is what a race to the bottom looks
like.

Herb

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net