[vcf-midatlantic] Fake 7400-series memory

Ethan telmnstr at 757.org
Thu Aug 24 12:19:24 EDT 2017

> I think "China relabel" is more likely. There's a LOT of relabeling going on
> today. Typically, standard chips are relabeled as high-reliability
> expanded-temp chips, which is harder to detect. This fraud was stupid, at
> some level.

8 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttjAew3UwjA

A bunch of other videos exist on youtube, the audio guys get the brunt of
it I believe. Friend picked up some MOS SID chips from eBay, fake. I'm
surprised they fake such cheap ICs, less surprised they fake more
expensive semiconductors.

Usually if a chip is laser engraved for the info and not silkscreened I
assume it's a Chinese clone. Some clones work, some are total outright
frauds.

The problem is eBay and aliexpress are indeed a lot cheaper, and it's not
like all the other electronics aren't produced in China with real to-spec
chips. So it's a roll of the dice.