[vcf-midatlantic] semi OT: BBC micro:bit on sale at Microcenter

Derrik Walker v2.0 dwalker at doomd.net
Mon Aug 28 20:27:21 EDT 2017

On 08/28/2017 06:32 PM, Jeffrey Jonas via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> I know it's a hard sell compared to the $5 Raspberry Pi zero, but
>
>      http://microbit.org/
>
> The BBC micro:bit is a pocket-sized codeable computer
> with motion detection, a built-in compass and Bluetooth technology,
> which was given free to every child in year 7 or equivalent across the
> UK in 2016.
I won one of these a about a year before they were readily available
here in the US.  I've gotten to play with it a fair bit.

It's actually more like the original vision of the Raspberry Pi - an ARM
based computer programmed with Python. I guess there are other options,
but I only use MicroPython on my Linux box to program it.

Hardware wise, it's more like an Arduino than a Raspi. Or maybe
somewhere between the two.

It's interesting and has some different features including to buttons
and a 5x5 LED array, accelerator, a compass, and some wireless com options.

- Derrik

--
-- Derrik

Derrik Walker v2.0, RHCE
dwalker at doomd.net

"Those UNIX guys, they think weird!" -- John C. Dvorak