[vcf-midatlantic] semi OT: BBC micro:bit on sale at Microcenter

Douglas Crawford touchetek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 21:49:23 EDT 2017

On 8/28/2017 8:27 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> On 08/28/2017 06:32 PM, Jeffrey Jonas via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> I know it's a hard sell compared to the $5 Raspberry Pi zero, but
>>
>>      http://microbit.org/
>>
>> The BBC micro:bit is a pocket-sized codeable computer
>> with motion detection, a built-in compass and Bluetooth technology,
>> which was given free to every child in year 7 or equivalent across the
>> UK in 2016.
> I won one of these a about a year before they were readily available
> here in the US.  I've gotten to play with it a fair bit.
>
> It's actually more like the original vision of the Raspberry Pi - an
> ARM based computer programmed with Python. I guess there are other
> options, but I only use MicroPython on my Linux box to program it.
>
> Hardware wise, it's more like an Arduino than a Raspi. Or maybe
> somewhere between the two.
>
> It's interesting and has some different features including to buttons
> and a 5x5 LED array, accelerator, a compass, and some wireless com
> options.
>
> - Derrik

As someone who has a representation of many of the available
embedded solution boards (St8m, ST32, a ton of Arduinos, several ATMEL
oards, Several PIs, Beaglebone etc...)
My first reaction was oh just what we need, yet another board option and
form factor...
but I took a closer look and I think its cool.   I'll be getting one.