[vcf-midatlantic] semi OT: BBC micro:bit on sale at Microcenter

Joseph Oprysko joprysko1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 16:53:15 EDT 2017

I'm thinking about picking up a couple for my kids (and maybe one for me as
well).

I'd love to find a "Teachers guide" for it. Maybe talk to some of the other
parents in the complex I live in and do like weekly classes for these.

Anyone know if some type of teachers guide exists?

I'll have to look through the website and see how I could try to convince
some of the various parents in the area how having the kids learn to
use/program these would be helpful to them.

Joe

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:49 PM Douglas Crawford via vcf-midatlantic <

> On 8/28/2017 8:27 PM, Derrik Walker v2.0 via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> > On 08/28/2017 06:32 PM, Jeffrey Jonas via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> >> I know it's a hard sell compared to the $5 Raspberry Pi zero, but
> >>
> >>      http://microbit.org/
> >>
> >> The BBC micro:bit is a pocket-sized codeable computer
> >> with motion detection, a built-in compass and Bluetooth technology,
> >> which was given free to every child in year 7 or equivalent across the
> >> UK in 2016.
> > I won one of these a about a year before they were readily available
> > here in the US.  I've gotten to play with it a fair bit.
> >
> > It's actually more like the original vision of the Raspberry Pi - an
> > ARM based computer programmed with Python. I guess there are other
> > options, but I only use MicroPython on my Linux box to program it.
> >
> > Hardware wise, it's more like an Arduino than a Raspi. Or maybe
> > somewhere between the two.
> >
> > It's interesting and has some different features including to buttons
> > and a 5x5 LED array, accelerator, a compass, and some wireless com
> > options.
> >
> > - Derrik
> >

> As someone who has a representation of many of the available
> embedded solution boards (St8m, ST32, a ton of Arduinos, several ATMEL
> oards, Several PIs, Beaglebone etc...)
> My first reaction was oh just what we need, yet another board option and
> form factor...
> but I took a closer look and I think its cool.   I'll be getting one.

Normal Person: So you go surfing?
lot...
Normal Person: Huh? Huh? What?