[vcf-midatlantic] Very much OT: Bitcoin?

systems_glitch systems.glitch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:08:27 EDT 2017

Heh, if anyone sends you some, it'll be a *very* small amount -- currently
1 BTC is about $4500 USD.

If you've given any of the faucets your Bitcoin address, and they've sent
any amount, then that will show up. It may be that you're using a
traditional client that has to download the entire blockchain, which is
many gigabytes nowadays. Try something like Electrum.

As to "what the big deal is," it's just an online fiat currency that's
essentially like cash. It's pretty cheap to move it around (there's a
transaction fee, but it's better than PayPal's fees). It can be used in an
anonymous fashion, but beware that the entire transaction history is public
knowledge -- like if your (and everyone else's) bank statement was
something that was public. So, assuming you use the same Bitcoin address to
pay for stuff as you've provided here, your transactions could easily be
mapped to your ID on this listserv. People seem to miss that aspect and
assume that it's 100% anonymous by nature; it's not, it can just be used as
such, with proper care.

Thanks,
Jonathan

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Joseph Oprysko via vcf-midatlantic <