[vcf-midatlantic] Apple //c equipment in Erie PA

Eric Rangell erangell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 16:54:08 EDT 2017

Hello all,
My name is Eric Rangell and I live in Downingtown, PA.  My parents live in
Lakewood NJ so I am looking forward to visiting the museum in Wall in
November.
My first computer was an Apple //e when I was 13 years old in 1983.  I
learned programming in Basic, Pascal, and assembly language in my teens,
which led to a degree in Information Systems and a job on Wall St, where I
worked with COBOL, helped get the company through Y2K, then branched into
Client/Server: Powerbuilder/Sybase, Java, C, C# .NET/SQL Server, HTML/JS.
After that job I did consulting for a university where I built a class for
remedial music theory in Java, Php, Mysql, and Unix.  My current position
is a solution architect in the pharma industry where I try to keep up with
Azure and VSTS while coordinating testing and FDA validation of systems.
So retrocomputing is a hobby that helps ground me in something familiar.  I
am revisiting a MIDI system I developed for myself on the Apple //e and
learning about efforts by archive.org to preserve floppy disk images.  I
have recently become interested in the ideas of Ted Nelson - Xanadu and
Zigzag.
When I was recently forced to dive into Javascript it was Doug Crockford's
video series that helped me explore it.  I am impressed with how people got
things done under the constraints of old hardware, and can appreciate the
unique talents that this community has.
Thanks, Eric