[vcf-midatlantic] Apple //c equipment in Erie PA

Douglas Crawford touchetek at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 22:41:47 EDT 2017

On 8/30/2017 4:54 PM, Eric Rangell via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Hello all,
> My name is Eric Rangell and I live in Downingtown, PA.  My parents live in
> Lakewood NJ so I am looking forward to visiting the museum in Wall in
> November.
> My first computer was an Apple //e when I was 13 years old in 1983.  I
> learned programming in Basic, Pascal, and assembly language in my teens,
> which led to a degree in Information Systems and a job on Wall St, where I
> worked with COBOL, helped get the company through Y2K, then branched into
> Client/Server: Powerbuilder/Sybase, Java, C, C# .NET/SQL Server, HTML/JS.
> After that job I did consulting for a university where I built a class for
> remedial music theory in Java, Php, Mysql, and Unix.  My current position
> is a solution architect in the pharma industry where I try to keep up with
> Azure and VSTS while coordinating testing and FDA validation of systems.
> So retrocomputing is a hobby that helps ground me in something familiar.  I
> am revisiting a MIDI system I developed for myself on the Apple //e and
> learning about efforts by archive.org to preserve floppy disk images.  I
> have recently become interested in the ideas of Ted Nelson - Xanadu and
> Zigzag.
> When I was recently forced to dive into Javascript it was Doug Crockford's
> video series that helped me explore it.  I am impressed with how people got
> things done under the constraints of old hardware, and can appreciate the
> unique talents that this community has.
> Thanks, Eric
Hi Eric, Doug Crawford here.
Welcome!  n hkoThanks for introducing yourself.
Did you catch our COBOL thread a ways back?
Also perhaps you don't know, we had Ted Nelson at VCFEast two years
ago, that was a really cool.
I'm in southwest Pottstown, Warwick, near St Peters.
There's a few of us reasonably local to here and we
get together between VCFed events, often at my place.
Perhaps you will join us.