[vcf-midatlantic] Bernie S at Festivus 2017

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Mon Dec 4 11:40:38 EST 2017

> Bernie S of 2600 magazine fame will be attending Festivus.

Legacy MARCH trivia: it was Bernie's idea to call our holiday party
"Festivus" a few years ago.

> He said: "Btw, Saturday I'll be stopping by the Radio Technology Museum to
> retrieve some restored wire recordings from the 1940's that my late father
> made.  Wire recording predated magnetic tape, and was used by the 1950 SEAC
> computer for data storage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAC_%28computer%29
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAC_(computer)>"

Already saw it. :)  But he's right, SEAC did use this technology.

Deep trivia: SEAC = Standards Eastern Automatic Computer. There was also
SWAC, the Standards Western Automatic Computer. "Standards" meant it was
made/owned by the National Bureau of Standards government agency, which
we know today as NIST.

Deeper trivia! Many of the same people who made SEAC in 1950 went on to
design NBS' next computer, DYSEAC, in two 40-ft. trailers. DYSEAC was a
one-time prototype. "Dy-" just meant "second"; today it'd be called SEAC
2.0.