[vcf-midatlantic] Bernie S at Festivus 2017

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Mon Dec 4 12:32:48 EST 2017

>> Bernie S of 2600 magazine fame...[has some wire recordings to
 >> retrieve from the Radio museum and will stop by Festivus]
>>  Wire recording predated magnetic tape, and was used by the 1950 SEAC
>> computer for data storage.

Early microprocessor computers, and some later video-gaming home
computers, used audio data cassettes for data storage. We in this list
know this. But recent experience I've had with 21st century young
adults, is that such use is a complete surprise to them. and, a lot of
modern computerists, work far harder than necessary, to digitally
extract data from those old audio recordings.

So, it's a surprise to me, that the earliest wire-recorders, were also
used with some computers of the 1950's. If he has more information on
that use, I suggest that VCFed try to obtain some information from
Bernie "S" - does he have a last name or is his identity confidential
for some reason? - and make that information available and archived.

Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net