[vcf-midatlantic] batteries in computers (was: NeXTstation)

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Mon Dec 4 13:54:08 EST 2017

In regards to the possible battery in a NeXTstation. Also, this post is
appropriate to the discussion on "inventory".

> Check the large Panasonic lithium battery on the [NeXT] motherboard,
> like a Mac II, it will not boot with a dead battery.
> They are still produced and available from Mouser, the
 > Mac cubes and the slabs use the same type of battery.

Caution: the lithium batteries used in various computers to keep
time-of-day running, and to retain other information (as in "Mac PRAM
battery"), have good odds of *leaking* and emitting hydrogen or other
gasses. The results are very, very damaging, and often not repairable.

Details: Any vintage Mac collector, and some owners, have had the horror
of opening their Mac and seeing several square inches of circuit-board
covered in goo. And, adjacent metal surfaces covered in red rust - not
just discoloration, but deep rust. Components in the vicinity, have
rusted leads and through-holes on the PC boards. These are not repairable.

I'm sure there's pictures on the Web of such damage. I myself, checked
out several Macs recently, and found one so rusted by leakage, neither
case nor motherboard was salvageable.

The Mac Plus/128K/512K, has a large 4.5v battery, in a holder accessed
without disassembling the case. Leaving the battery in those units,
almost guarantees the battery-holder will green-rust and corrode. No
battery is needed to operate these oldest Macs.

Bottom line Suggestion:

While the VCF Museum is doing their inventory and cataloging, it may be
a good idea to inspect computers for these batteries *and remove those
batteries* if not wired in. I suppose a note can be added inside the
computer, to specify the kind of battery removed and where it was
connected if not obvious. If it's known the computer won't start without
a working battery, add that info to the note.

Comment to "this is too complicated, too much work, etc."  This is the
cost of long-term ownership. The space and time taken by a computer,
will be lost if it it self-destructs and that's not discovered until
that computer is needed or accessed.

Herb Johnson
retrotechnology.com

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net