[vcf-midatlantic] vacuum tube computers

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Mon Dec 4 15:00:41 EST 2017

On 12/04/2017 02:35 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

>> I have told people this is too complicated for me to explain ... because I
>> don't understand it well enough to explain it. My wife doesn't appreciate
>> when I explain in too much detail when I do know it so I try to adjust
>> explanations to the person's background and temperament. I'm not always
>> successful as sometimes my sarcasm gets the best of me and I say the
>> perfect thing at exactly the wrong time.
>>
>> I do try to supply some answer when I have an idea, a guess when I can
>> make a guess (making it clear that it's a guess) and I've started saying
>> that I have no idea when I have no idea.
>
> The most important thing (especially for our museum docents) is that we always * try * to
> explain and never look down on guests. Hopefully we get it mostly accurate, too.

I wrote a book (as did Even) and I have a friend who likes to bust me
about it. So I tend to joke about it a bit (it's really hard work).
I had a joke I used to use on bike rides I lead: Any idiot can write a
book just look at Snooki from the Jersey Shore. The joke failed every
time because many of my riders had no idea what a Snooki was and they
tended to be PhDs from the local Universities. Each with a book.

So now I've learned, I'm not that smarter than Snooki. ;-)

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com