[vcf-midatlantic] Have you grown tired of your WiF232 Internet Modem?

Jason Howe jason at smbfc.net
Tue Dec 5 09:22:20 EST 2017

On 12/04/2017 03:58 PM, Ethan via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> I've spoken with Paul Rickards about helping make more units.
>> There's some
>> new competition as mentioned, and unless Paul has a real burning
>> desire to
>> share files then it's probably not worth cloning as I / Manila Gear had
>> planned.
>
> Ah cool. The things I'm aware of on Amazon and such aren't really ...
> aimed at the same market? They're commercial serial servers similar to
> the Lantronix MSS and MS units, Digi Portserver units and such aimed
> at commercial people using them for automation, signage, access
> control systems and such.

>> After some talking with Bill Degnan and John Morris (Applesauce:
>> https://wiki.reactivemicro.com/Applesauce), I think there are some issue
>> that need to be addressed with the project in order to better support
>> more
>> platforms as well as some missing options.  When Morris is done with
>> Applesauce we have plans to tackle some other less relevant projects and
>> this particular one I feel should be pretty simple.  And if done
>> correctly
>> can offer a lot more to the retro community than the current solutions.
>
> Really SSH client support is the only thing I can think of, and that
> might require more processor ass.
>
> The neat thing about the wifi232 (from what I've read) is that it
> supports ATDT to dial out, so as long as term program doesn't do input
> restriction you could have a directory of hosts in say -- qmodem.
>
> An ISA card might be cool :-) But if you made an ISA card version for
> the DOS people, you could also leave jumpers to cut or not install and
> leave off the uart with just pins for serial lines then it could also
> be installed inside an Amiga 2000ish computers.
>
>> Not sure when the project would start, however I guess about April
>> assuming
>> all goes well with Applesauce in the coming months.
>
> So many projects... so little time!
>
>             - Ethan

I've been very happy using my Lantronix Device for a couple years now.
The only think I really want for is a newer model Lantronix device that
will take a hostname rather than an IP address.  Some of the BBSes I
frequent have a VERY dynamic ip address.

SSH access would be really nice to have, but honestly I just "dial" into
my Linux box and bounce out from there.  I was using a rpi as a
telnet/ssh 'gateway' for a while, but then needed it for something else,
but it worked quite well for that purpose as well.

--Jason