[vcf-midatlantic] Have you grown tired of your WiF232 Internet Modem?

jsalzman at gmail.com jsalzman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 10:32:58 EST 2017

C64 users can get the Strikelink for WiFi modem capabilities that uses an
AT command set similar to the WiFi232.

Perhaps the creator of the Strikelink could be convinced to make a serial
port version of his adapter.

https://1200baud.wordpress.com/2017/03/17/strikelink-c64-300-9600-baud-wifi-modem-on-sale/

On Dec 5, 2017 9:33 AM, "Jason Howe via vcf-midatlantic" <

On 12/04/2017 03:58 PM, Ethan via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

> I've spoken with Paul Rickards about helping make more units.  There's some
>> new competition as mentioned, and unless Paul has a real burning desire to
>> share files then it's probably not worth cloning as I / Manila Gear had
>> planned.
>>

> Ah cool. The things I'm aware of on Amazon and such aren't really ...
> aimed at the same market? They're commercial serial servers similar to the
> Lantronix MSS and MS units, Digi Portserver units and such aimed at
> commercial people using them for automation, signage, access control
> systems and such.

After some talking with Bill Degnan and John Morris (Applesauce:
>> https://wiki.reactivemicro.com/Applesauce), I think there are some issue
>> that need to be addressed with the project in order to better support more
>> platforms as well as some missing options.  When Morris is done with
>> Applesauce we have plans to tackle some other less relevant projects and
>> this particular one I feel should be pretty simple.  And if done correctly
>> can offer a lot more to the retro community than the current solutions.
>>

> Really SSH client support is the only thing I can think of, and that might
> require more processor ass.
>
> The neat thing about the wifi232 (from what I've read) is that it supports
> ATDT to dial out, so as long as term program doesn't do input restriction
> you could have a directory of hosts in say -- qmodem.
>
> An ISA card might be cool :-) But if you made an ISA card version for the
> DOS people, you could also leave jumpers to cut or not install and leave
> off the uart with just pins for serial lines then it could also be
> installed inside an Amiga 2000ish computers.
>
> Not sure when the project would start, however I guess about April assuming
>> all goes well with Applesauce in the coming months.
>>

> So many projects... so little time!
>
>             - Ethan
>
> I've been very happy using my Lantronix Device for a couple years now.
The only think I really want for is a newer model Lantronix device that
will take a hostname rather than an IP address.  Some of the BBSes I
frequent have a VERY dynamic ip address.

SSH access would be really nice to have, but honestly I just "dial" into my
Linux box and bounce out from there.  I was using a rpi as a telnet/ssh
'gateway' for a while, but then needed it for something else, but it worked
quite well for that purpose as well.

--Jason