[vcf-midatlantic] The Games of Joseph Weisbecker

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri Dec 8 19:45:48 EST 2017

> Pierri, Florencia wrote
>
> I wanted to bring your attention to a new exhibit we have at the Sarnoff
> Collection that might be of interest to all of you, *Playing with
> Innovation: The Games of Joseph Weisbecker*

I've had the pleasure of meeting Florencia at the Collection. I had some
small participation in the exhibit, by evaluating the FRED 2 computer
which will be part of the "Games" exhibit. I've described the likely
FRED 2 on this Web page:

http://www.retrotechnology.com/memship/cosmac_fred2.html

That page has links to another Web page, about the "System 00" at the
Collection. It's likely the earliest prototype of the COSMAC 1802
architecture. The FRED 2 has a two-chip implementation of what became
the 1802 microprocessor. System 00 is pure TTL logic - but implements
the same COSMAC instruction set.

The exhibit emphasizes Weisbecker's experience as a board-game and
game-toy designer and producer, of "computer logic" games. The
FRED/COSMAC, represents the computer-logic flavor he put into many of
his games; and his day-job as RCA engineer. Some of those games, were
implemented as the earliest programs on the COSMAC computers in the
Collection. Joe's daughter Joyce has had recent acknowledgement, as "the
first female commercial/indie video game designer", from her
game-programming work on the earliest COSMACs.

On the exhibit Web pages, is the RCA COSMAC Microtutor; a predecessor to
the COSMAC ELF (Popular Electronics Aug 1976 article) and to generations
of "Elf" COSMAC computers. The VCFed museum, has a Microtutor and other
RCA microcomputer development products. I brought the Collection's
Microtutor to VCF-East a few years ago. I"ve been supporting a COSMAC
ELF derivative for some years now, on my Web site.

Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net