[vcf-midatlantic] Small Intro and a Thank You to everyone

Neil Cherry ncherry at linuxha.com
Mon Dec 11 13:21:55 EST 2017

On 12/11/2017 12:24 AM, Lou via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> Hello! My name is Lou Kohn but I also go by Faust in the community (IRC

(in a drone voice) Hi Lou ... ;-)

> mainly). I am 27 years young with a jump to 28 next weekend and I live in
> the farmlands and suburbs of Gloucester County New Jersey. As for my > interest in vintage computing it comes from many different places,

Age doesn't matter, interest does. :-)

I have a 486sx running Linux 1.2 (I think it still works).

We've been starting to add 'interesting' IBM PC Clones from the era. A lot
of the beige boxes are as common as tissue paper. But that doesn't mean they're
not vintage now. There's just so many that VCF needs to be selective for the
museum.

In addition to my interest in Linux, I mostly have various Atari 8 bit systems.
I hope to be at the the next repair shop (Jan. 13th, I think) with my Atari 800's
and a Raspberry pi running SIO2PI (drive emulator).

There are Mini, Mainframe, Micro (home and business computer), portables and
even embedded. I think we have folks from every era starting from the 1950's
computers to the present.

> Also I have to give you all a big thank you Saturday night when attending
> the festivus event! Not only was it my first but being the socially awkward
> person that I am (with an even more socially awkward fiancee that was with
> me during the event) everyone was so nice and awesome, we really felt

You do realize that you're describing most of the folks that were at Festivus. :-)

And despite the weather there was a large crowd. It's the one holiday
party where I feel comfortable.

PS: IXR (Makerspace) is also at InfoAge. We meet every Monday night
but not on 12/25 (Christmas) and I'm not sure about 1/1. Not all are
interested in vintage computer but we play with different technologies.

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com