[vcf-midatlantic] Could a Blockchain based file system be the answer!

jsalzman at gmail.com jsalzman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 11:43:16 EST 2017

I still think torrent is the better idea *IF* there is a want to have
redundancy (other than traditional backups) in the collective archive of
older digitized media. Internet Archive and the like are great resources,
and I support their works, but they are still a "cathedral entity." If they
disappear, we lose a LOT! If for some unfortunate reason they collapse,
we're stuck with a lot of rebuilding of the archive as a community.
Volunteers keeping torrents would not only distribute many recoverable
duplicates of the overall content, but will also allow for a quick recovery
of the whole. But I would like to suggest an additional failsafe...

Does anybody remember QuickPar? It was used as a recovery tool to recover
missing segments of group files. At the expense of some additional overhead
in file space, if one or more files, like those in a torrent, happened to
be unrecoverable or unable to be downloaded, a set of QuickPar files
originally generated from the group content can be used to rebuild the
missing pieces and files. It's kind of like a RAID system for distributed
files.

Just my 0.02

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM, william degnan via vcf-midatlantic <