[vcf-midatlantic] Could a Blockchain based file system be the answer!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 21 12:46:54 EST 2017

On 12/21/2017 12:06 PM, Herb Johnson via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>> Internet Archive and the like are great resources,
>> and I support their works, but they are still a "cathedral entity." If
>> they
>> disappear, we lose a LOT! If for some unfortunate reason they collapse,
>> we're stuck with a lot of rebuilding of the archive as a community.
>> Volunteers keeping torrents would not only distribute many recoverable
>> duplicates of the overall content, but will also allow for a quick
>> recovery
>> of the whole.
>
> I don't understand "torrents", and don't need to. They seem to amount to
> copying and Web distribution of archived content in an active real-time
> way.

  It's a tool like any other.  But it has nothing to do with "web", just
FYI.

> Seems to me, there's no shortage of people who are obsessed with copying
> vintage archives and making them available - their way. Whatever
> technology they choose to that end, is up to them. That said, others say
> "I won't bother to obtain this manual, someone else has preserved it". A
> problem of excess.

  I think a lot of people learned from what happened with the Don Maslin
archive.  We are very lucky that it was eventually recovered.

> Torrents, blockchain, distributed file systems - all "hammers" looking
> for a "nail", in my opinion as an engineer among other engineers. I'm
> scanning manuals and making them available, thank you, and I have my own
> tools. When my "cathedral" falls, the people who got my content, will
> resurrect it; and I may provide for other "cathedrals" too; and for what
> was in mine. Thanks for reminding me of this issue.

  Please forgive me for saying so, but this is a very curmudgeonly
attitude.  Just because a tool is new, doesn't necessarily mean that
it's useless.  Further, none of these things are even all that new.
People are now starting to find new applications for blockchain
technology, in particular for data preservation and insurance of
immutability.  This is a good thing, not a bad thing.  If you don't want
to participate in it, don't, and that's ok.  But I for one am convinced
that that's how this stuff will be preserved in the future.

  And with ever-shortening "SQUIRREL!" attention spans, and millennial
and post-millennials thinking transient content is just fine, and "oh,
it'll be there" being the prevalent attitude amongst people 20-40yrs
younger than us, this is an important and valuable thing.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA