[vcf-midatlantic] Could a Blockchain based file system be the answer!

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri Dec 22 11:33:42 EST 2017

First, responding to comments to my comments.

Clearly I know nothing about bitchain and torrent, so I won't comment
further on those technologies. "Herb is curmudgeonly about this" -
acknowledged, I did call myself "stone-age" for a reason. "hammer
looking for a nail" seems to be an acknowledged call.

My comment on the Internet Archive was misread a bit. It collects the
first few "layers" of Web content - not all of a site's files are
preserved. Hence "wide not deep". If that changes, bless 'em and our
good fortune.

On the issues - which to me are about content and acquisition.

The discussion is about technical methods and their merits. That's fine.
A claimed motivation is "lost archives", which is or was an issue.  Many
online archives become replicated now, some people like doing that, they
often claim "duplication is preservation". Replication solves the
problem. As on-line technology is getting cheaper and faster and bigger
- I'm just not worried about the technical details or costs; for others
that's their interests, and that's fine.

My worries, and Dave McGuire and others echos these, are motivating
*people* -  to preserve content in the first place, to contribute to
those who ARE preserving and who need support ($$$, show-of-interest,
provide more content). I also worry about archiving institutions; they
have merits and issues, that's another discussion. And I worry about
"curation" - how to represent a thing, give it a context, a history. As
Dave McGuire said, short-attention and narrow interests are problems.

Blockchain doesn't help us with block-heads, or about simple ignorance
of the past, or with efforts to acquire and digitize. Or, with
preserving artifacts and not just content. (shrug) but those are other
discussions.

Herb
http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net