[vcf-midatlantic] BlockChain Filing / Akin to Bitsavers

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri Dec 22 12:30:05 EST 2017

Bill Inderrieden's  post was subject'ed by "digest" - he answered a
digest email, not an individual email. So I chose to reply with a proper
subject-line. HIs post was:

Thu Dec 21 13:51:11 EST 2017

To The Guys: Degan, Jonas, Johnson and Oprysko.   And all others
listening and interested.

In a non related search of other stuff, I came across this, which I had
not seen originally on the [PBS] News Hour.

https://www.pbs.org/video/an-archive-preserving-the-fragile-history-of-the-digital-age-1490666178

It shows what is being done out in CA, concerning constructing a
complete digital library archive of the human knowledge, formidable task
to be sure, and addresses (not yet completely solved) how to access the
knowledge base in "50 let alone 500 years".

The technology we all play in is so fragile!  Both hardware and
software!!! Runs 10min with a intro advert for a Broadway production of
Shakespeare's  Farinelli and the King, that you have to sit through.

Bill Inderrieden

---------------------------------
The interview was aired   01/02/17, an interview including Brewster
Kahle of the Internet Archive, Jeffrey Brown reporter. The video  of
Kahle shows a stack of servers in some former San Fransisco church. It's
worth viewing to see the facility.

One row of four hard drives, says Kahle, represents "all the words in
the Library of Congress". The Web is fragile, says the narrator Brown,
because links break, documents are edited or removed, owners shut down
their sites. Others interviewed say, computers & storage break and
become obsolete. Mr Peabody is cited as the inventor of "the Wayback
Machine" (look it up, millennials).

"what the archive saves, is based on popularity" (narrator). (sigh) A
million flies...."why aren't all the books digitized?" (Kahle). (sigh,
because we are capitalists).

And by the way: in looking up Kahle, I came across the Internet Archive
Blog, and his remarks of Feb 2 2017 on "micropayments".

https://blog.archive.org/2017/02/02/micropayments-to-archive-org-by-using-the-brave-browser/

which 1) goes to recovering costs by a mechanism of micropayments from
certain Internet Archive readers and 2) goes to a reference to my old
mentor, and former New Jersey resident, Project Xanadu's Ted Nelson.
He's widely credited for associating micropayments with hypertext (he
coined the term). also 3) it mentioned bitcoin which is akin to
blockchain, a technology in discussion.

Please note: this is what curation looks like.

Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net