[vcf-midatlantic] 9000/300 available (fwd)

Herb Johnson hjohnson at retrotechnology.info
Fri Dec 22 13:52:37 EST 2017

J. Alexander Jacocks (Alex) did acquire those HP 9000's and brought a
few to Festivus. I want to acknowledge and thank him for his efforts. I
was one who acquired a 9000/300 and a hard/floppy drive. VCFed Museum
got a set also, as did others. Not a big priority for me, but I used HP
computing equipment in the era, I have a number of HP test equipment
items, and so on.

Alex particularly worked hard at my request, to try to generate a boot
floppy during the event. I literally had to pry his fingers from his
laptop, as he tried to get 21st century technology to generate 1980's
3.5" floppies. My "cave man" needs were simply to see the floppy drive
acknowledged during boot-up.

Since the event, I got the hard drive - old MFM 5.25 inch drive - to
operate; the system comes up in BASIC. I have two 800K floppy drives
working (a third has a broken head).

I'm hampered in looking it over, by the lack of a proper monochrome
monitor. It's a composite video, my guess 30Khz horizontal rate. I'd
like to obtain a monitor, or futz with some other monitor. So I'd like
to know the scan rate and other video-format data. Again, my thanks to
Alex Jacocks.

Herb Johnson

http://www.retrotechnology.com OR .net