[vcf-midatlantic] OT: need help upgrading Linux gadget firmware

Evan Koblentz evan at vcfed.org
Mon Dec 25 19:06:36 EST 2017

This has nothing to do with vintage computing.

I wear a Garmin GPW watch when I'm running. The model is Forerunner 15
with version 2.40 of their firmware.

The latest firmware is version 2.70. Officially, they require Windows
software Garmin Connect to download the firmware and synchronize it to
your device. Garmin Connect in turn requires a late-model version of
.NET Framework.

I couldn't get .NET Framework to install in WINE, so I started Googling
for manual upgrade methods.

I found a few relevant posts:

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/running/forerunner-620-aa/70154-linux-user-needs-help-to-update-firmware

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/cycling/edge-520-aa/125491-

Both posts indicate a method of downloading the firmware file manually
(done), changing it from (filename).rgn to gupdate.gcd, attaching the
watch via its USB charging gadget to your computer, putting the file in
the right directory, dismounting the device from Linux, and rebooting
the device. Easy enough ... except nothing happens when I reboot the
watch and its settings menu still shows version 2.40.

There are posts about editing out part of the file using a hex editor,
for example, post #6 in the first link that I put above.

I downloaded a hex editor and can see the data but I have no clue how to
use it.

The file is on my personal site: http://www.snarc.net/forerunner15_270.rgn

Lil' help?