[vcf-midatlantic] Museum inventory database software

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Mon Dec 25 21:35:29 EST 2017

On Mon, 25 Dec 2017, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:

>>  Define reasonably priced
>
> We know it when we hear the number. :)
>
>>  and what metadata need to be tracked?
>
> Exact details are TBD, but presumably there would be master categories such
> as hardware - software - document - and "other". Then each category would
> drill down as needed, for example, hardware > computer >
> microcomputer > Commodore >  64, with various fields such as item number,
> does it work, cosmetic condition, who donated it, etc. ..... we can't
> possibly think of all the sub-categories in advance, so there would be plenty
> of rearranging as needed.

    I installed Collective Access on my Linux server to evaluate it, and am in
the process of setting up the metadata fields and adding some inventory.  It
can all be done via web GUI, so far.  The core database application is called
Providence, and runs on the traditional LAMP setup.  There's a public-access
web frontend that goes along with it called Pawtucket.  I'm just working with
Providence, at this point.  I'll give you my impressions after I play with it
some more.  For the moment, I'm taking the "how far can I get before having to
read the documentation?" approach.  :-)

http://collectiveaccess.org/

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us