[vcf-midatlantic] Museum inventory database software

Tony Bogan thebogans at mac.com
Mon Dec 25 21:40:23 EST 2017

Sent from my iPhone
> On Dec 25, 2017, at 9:24 PM, John Heritage via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
> Evan - let me know if you can't find anything for AWS for non-profits..  I
> can dig up a few official Amazon contacts via my work..  (we're in the
> process of moving workloads to AWS)..
>
> On Mon, Dec 25, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic <
>
>> I find filemaker pro to be a  good database that is very easy to create
>>> and modify by people not dbas.
>>>

>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>> I'll see if they have non-profit pricing. Web site says the cloud version
>> via AWS starts at $888/yr ... too rich for our blood.

If you decided to go the database software route (FileMaker or other) would it not be feasible to simple buy the software with a couple licenses, store the file locally on the museum machine and a cloud storage site (google, Microsoft, Apple, pick one) and then simply have the few people with the license access the file.

I can access my work database (Microsoft onedrive) either from the local machine in the office or a remote machine (my sisters and my home are the other two licenses) and the file is updated on the cloud drive)

My local office machine is backed up hourly and daily so there is a cloud backup and local hardcopy backup at all times that are the same/synced.

Most database software, especially with multiple licenses or multiple Copies, is fairly expensive but it is a one time outlay of $$.

The cloud storage expense is minimal and the file six is small relative to the amount of info stored. And the total expense is insignificant overall compared to a yearly aws subscription. One years cost or less for example for FileMaker aws will get you two or three licenses for the software and a years cloud storage of a couple hundred gigs (waaaay more than would be needed for a long time in all likelihood)

The second year would only cost it the cloud storage fee, nothing else.

Just a thought if you decide to go with the database software solution as opposed to cloud/web based solutions. Not as flexible with the number of access points/users but I wouldn't think we'd need more than a few people (and anyone approved by the board on the museum machine) to access this.

Not to mention some of us may already have the software in Question if it's a desktop package.

Some food for thought.
Tony