[vcf-midatlantic] Museum inventory database software

Martin A Flynn maflynn at theflynn.org
Mon Dec 25 21:54:02 EST 2017

On 12/25/2017 9:35 PM, Mike Loewen via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Dec 2017, Evan Koblentz via vcf-midatlantic wrote:
>

>>>  Define reasonably priced
>>
>> We know it when we hear the number. :)
>>
>>>  and what metadata need to be tracked?
>>
>> Exact details are TBD, but presumably there would be master
>> categories such as hardware - software - document - and "other". Then
>> each category would drill down as needed, for example, hardware >
>> computer > microcomputer > Commodore > 64, with various fields such
>> as item number, does it work, cosmetic condition, who donated it,
>> etc. ..... we can't possibly think of all the sub-categories in
>> advance, so there would be plenty of rearranging as needed.
>
>    I installed Collective Access on my Linux server to evaluate it,
> and am in the process of setting up the metadata fields and adding
> some inventory.  It can all be done via web GUI, so far. The core
> database application is called Providence, and runs on the traditional
> LAMP setup.  There's a public-access web frontend that goes along with
> it called Pawtucket.  I'm just working with Providence, at this
> point.  I'll give you my impressions after I play with it some more.
> For the moment, I'm taking the "how far can I get before having to
> read the documentation?" approach.  :-)

Mike,
I had installed C/A on the server at my  co-location site - No issues
other than bandwidth when trying to use Pawtucket on iOS (ipad).

As far as metadata, I went  with the built-in isad(g) profile to start
with.   Link:
https://www.ica.org/en/isadg-general-international-standard-archival-description-second-edition
So far, no reason to go with Dublin Core http://www.dublincore.org/

Martin