[vcf-midatlantic] Museum inventory database software

Tony Bogan thebogans at mac.com
Mon Dec 25 22:05:26 EST 2017

> On Dec 25, 2017, at 9:45 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan at vcfed.org> wrote:
>

>> Just a thought if you decide to go with the database software solution as opposed to cloud/web based solutions. Not as flexible with the number of access points/users but I wouldn't think we'd need more than a few people (and anyone approved by the board on the museum machine) to access this.
>
> We definitely need something 24/7 online. Even when we're on campus, we want to be able to talk around the warehouse and add/remove items via smartphone interface as needed. Sounds like you are a proposing a method where the real database has to be synced later on.

Actually the file is updated in real time since it exists on the cloud drive storage when talking Microsoft onedrive or similar. The museum machine sees it as a local folder/file, so regardless of how you access it (museum machine or remote machine) it is updated in real time. Assuming you backup the museum machine that is you local "hardcopy" backup.

Accessing through a handheld device is not something I've done so I'm unsure as to how FileMaker for example would do this (i know it's possible, I've just never done it) but a laptop works running the desktop app and is certainly something "portable" to the warehouse.

The file is accessible 24/7 from any licensed copy of the software since it is hosted by a cloud storage service (again Microsoft, google, pick one)

>> Not to mention some of us may already have the software in Question if it's a desktop package.
>
> We would only use legally licensed-to-us software.

My point about someone else having the software was the file is in a standard db format (whatever program you use) and is accessible by anyone approved by the board to work on the database. Obviously just anyone with the software can't access the cloud storage without the login and password required, which is licensed by VCF. Or whomever you add to your multi user license.

I'm unfamiliar with "museum collection management" software since I obviously have no use for it, but from what I've seen through researching this is it's the monthly/yearly costs that are
Killer.

Again, just food for thought depending on the direction you decide to take.

Tony