[vcf-midatlantic] COBOL: vintage vs. legacy code

Bob Applegate bob at corshamtech.com
Thu Jun 1 11:16:59 EDT 2017

> On May 31, 2017, at 2:36 PM, Joseph S. Barrera III via vcf-midatlantic <vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Brian Schenkenberger via vcf-midatlantic <
>
>> I've been writing assembly for 40+ years and fully expect to be writing it
>> for another 10+. ;)
>>

> Are you asserting that, say, VAX assembly and 6502 assembly are the *same
> language*? :-)

Same concepts, even if the target processor is different.

FWIW, I was in a code review this week for a few hundred bytes of assembly code.  The number of people fluent in assembly at the company is very small, but this product sells several hundred thousand units a year and is very important.  The code was in C using a highly optimizing compiler but it couldn’t quite squeeze the code enough once a new feature was added, and going to a slightly larger processor with more RAM (32 bytes) was about four cents more per chip, so switching to assembly was the best approach.

Not all computers have 2 TB disk and 32 GB RAM.  When you need to save a few bytes, assembly is your friend.

Bob