[vcf-midatlantic] COBOL: vintage vs. legacy code

VAXman at tmesis.org VAXman at tmesis.org
Thu Jun 1 11:33:53 EDT 2017

<vcf-midatlantic at lists.vintagecomputerfederation.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Brian Schenkenberger via =
vcf-midatlantic <
>=20
>> I've been writing assembly for 40+ years and fully expect to be =
writing it
>> for another 10+. ;)
>>=20
>=20
> Are you asserting that, say, VAX assembly and 6502 assembly are the =
*same
> language*? :-)

Somehow I missed this comment.  Funny you should mention VAX; it shows how
out of touch you are with the VMS world.  I have written my fair share and
more of VAX assembly but I've written volumes of Alpha and Itanium too.  I
used to play on PDPs and the micro-computers (CP/M) in the physics lab in
college writting assembly.  One of my first year EE classes involved 6502
processors too.

>Same concepts, even if the target processor is different.

Pretty much.

>FWIW, I was in a code review this week for a few hundred bytes of =
>assembly code.  The number of people fluent in assembly at the company =
>is very small, but this product sells several hundred thousand units a =
>year and is very important.  The code was in C using a highly optimizing =
>compiler but it couldn=E2=80=99t quite squeeze the code enough once a =
>new feature was added, and going to a slightly larger processor with =
>more RAM (32 bytes) was about four cents more per chip, so switching to =
>assembly was the best approach.
>
>Not all computers have 2 TB disk and 32 GB RAM.  When you need to save a =
>few bytes, assembly is your friend.

Yeah, like the specialized processors incorporated in to satellites which
I coded for in my Astrospace days.